REGISTRATION FOR TRANSPORTATION SERVICES
All Denton ISD students must register for transportation services prior to riding the bus. This registration process will allow the District to verify each student’s address and eligibility. Eligibility will be determined at the time of registration. You may obtain an Application for Bus Transportation Services by any of the following:
Please notify the following should you have a change of address or phone number during the school year:
1. Your Student’s Campus 2. Denton ISD Transportation @ 940 369-0300
STUDENT MANAGEMENT AND DISCIPLINE PROCEDURES
Bus Safety Rules - Rules defining student conduct are designed to protect the passengers and shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
LOADING/UNLOADING THE BUS
A. PROCEDURES FOR WAITING FOR THE BUS
1. Be at your bus stop five minutes before the scheduled pick-up time.
2. Students will wait next to (but not in) the street, driveway or parking lot.
3. When the bus approaches, form a line and be prepared to load immediately.
4. Stand clear of the bus until it comes to a complete stop.
5. If you miss the bus, go home immediately.
6. Parents/guardians should instruct their children on what procedures to follow if the bus is missed.
B. LOADING THE BUS
1. Scuffling, shoving, hitting or fighting is prohibited on the bus and at designated bus stops. Zero tolerance will be applied. Student must keep all body parts and personal objects from contacting another student.
2. Use the handrail and steps.
3. Go directly to your seat and sit down. The bus will not move until all students are properly seated.
4. Any or all students may be assigned a seat.
C. GETTING OFF THE BUS
1. Stay seated until the bus is completely stopped.
2. Use the handrail and take one step at a time when leaving the bus.
3. Wait for your turn to leave the bus. Pushing and crowding will only slow exiting and may cause an accident.
4. Stay clear of the bus when the engine is running. Do not chase or hang on to the bus at any time.
5. If any article drops or rolls near or under the bus, do not go after it. Go to the door of the bus and ask the driver for help.
6. All students should exit the bus and immediately take several steps away from the bus.
D. CROSSING THE STREET OR HIGHWAY
1. All students living on the left side of the roadway shall exit the bus and move to a point 10 to 12 feet in front of the right corner of the bus and wait for the driver to signal you that it is safe to cross.
2. Check in both directions and walk directly across the road.
3. Never cross the road behind the bus.
4. CAUTION! Be alert for vehicles that do not stop when the bus is loading or unloading students.
5. Cross all streets at intersections. Obey all traffic signals and signs on your way home.
ACCIDENTS OR EMERGENCIES
1. Follow the driver's directions.
2. If you must leave the bus, stay in a group.
3. The following procedures will be used in an emergency situation.
A. The student nearest the door will open the door and assist everyone in exiting.
B. Leave the bus in a single file as quickly and quietly as possible.
C. Evacuation will start with the seat closest to the door.
D. Once outside the bus, follow the driver's directions completely.
1. Bus rider rules apply to all school sponsored events.
2. Discipline will be the responsibility of the building principal and the trip sponsor.
3. The bus must return clean when returning from the trip.
BUS DISCIPLINE PROCEDURES
Bus Discipline Procedures —Riding a school bus that serves this district is a privilege. The driver is recognized as the authority on the bus and has control over daily operations. The following procedures shall be followed when inappropriate behavior occurs on a bus serving a regular route or an extracurricular activity: PLEASE NOTE: THE SCHOOL BUS IS AN EXTENSION OF THE SCHOOL DAY. ALL RULES AND GUIDELINES IN THE STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT APPLY ON THE SCHOOL BUS.
First Violation – Warning—A Bus Safety Report is issued.
Second Violation – Three day Suspension—A Bus Safety Report is issued.
Third Violation - Five day Suspension—A Bus Safety Report is issued.
Fourth Violation - Ten day Suspension—A Bus Safety Report is issued.
Fifth Violation – Thirty day Suspension—A Bus Safety Report is issued.
Sixth Violation – Indefinite--Student will be suspended from the bus for the remainder of the school year.
Severe Clause- If a student’s conduct seriously jeopardizes the safety of the other students and/or the driver or engages in any illegal activity, a suspension will be immediately placed into effect.
Video and audio surveillance may be in operation on your child’s bus to help in maintaining a safe and orderly bus. Federal law prohibits the school district from releasing the video to any member of the public except to law enforcement officials (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act).
DISRUPTION OF TRANSPORTATION
Any student who disrupts the continuation of a bus route and forces the driver to stop the bus due to unsafe or illegal behavior may be guilty of disruption of public transportation. Suspension from the bus and/or fines may result.
Education Code 37.126. Disruption of Transportation
PARENTS BOARDING OR STOPPING BUSES
To insure the safety and security of all students on Denton ISD buses, parents may not board the bus at any time. Should you need to discuss an issue with the bus driver, please contact our office at (940) 369-0300. The driver has been instructed not to engage in discussions with parents on route to avoid route delays.